Thursday, January 28, 2010

Food!

A local (non-local?) mommy group that I belong to is doing a Blog Hop....and this will be our first post of the hop....
I suck at keeping up my blog so hopefully this will give me the push I need to blog regularly.

This weeks topic: What is your child's favorite and least favorite foods? Are you Happy about it? What do you do to promote a diverse palate?

Ahhhhh food.
I love it. Mike loves it. Livi....well, not so much. Well I guess I could take the blame for her being so picky, since I am myself, but I won't. :) But boy-oh-boy is she! When we first started table foods, she was a freakin vacuum! Anything and everything went into her mouth, no care in the world if it was edible, clean, covered with dog hair. ::barf:: So when she started to ask for certain things, I was ecstatic! This little tiny person is actually expressing an interest in what she is shoveling into her face....I must oblige right? And from there it's just been a steady, downhill slope. And one that Mike and I just cannot agree on...or even really see eye-to-eye a lot of the time. See, I grew up a little, eh, spoiled, when it comes to eating. If Mom was making spaghetti, and I wanted chicken, she made spaghetti for the fam, and chicken for me. And if my sister wanted burgers, well, we had spaghetti, chicken, and burgers on the table that night. And we never had to finish. Clean plate?? What was that? I loved dinners in our house. :) Now Mike on the other hand, wow it was different. What was cooked was what was had....if you didn't like it, you had the choice of either just eating it to fill your stomach, or you just didn't eat that night. So needless to say, he is not picky at all. But I regress....

Livi.


So as she grew, she started "hating" certain foods. Ok, she "hates" all food that isn't mac and cheese, or cheese pizza. And the kid never got into condiments like other young people these days...Ketchup? Too spicy. Ranch? Yuck! Jelly? Icky. And the list could go on. And poor pepperoni...poor, poor pepperoni. She hates it. Like will.not.eat it at.all. How can you not like pepperoni?? And everything is "too spicy" Wha?! I eat hot sauce like it's going out of style, and Mike is close behind me. I'll make those raemen noodle packets with Franks red hot instead of water for goodness sake, and my child hates spice.

Her favs? Well, I think they fall in line with every other kids favorite foods....mac & cheese, cheese pizza, broccoli. Probably in that order too. Although she really does love perch. Really any kind of fish though, and steak. The girl loves her some steak! Now you can't put anything at all on the steak, except for salt, but still, she'll eat it up.

I think she's fine being picky. Afterall, I was, and I turned out fine. She doesn't need to eat exotic foods if she doesn't want to. Heck I never had my first hot dog until a few years ago and I survived. Mike's view? She needs to eat what we're having. To end this constant debate, and to have more peaceful meals, we've devised a equilibrium over this.....every meal Livi has to try it. She has to take 2 mouthfuls of whatever we are having, and make her decision. If she truly doesn't like it, fine, she doesn't have to eat it. And if she does like it, well, I guess you know the outcome of that one then.... And she's honestly liked more then she hasn't. So it's been good. I have no problem with what she eats, and doesn't eat. I'm not going to freak out because she didn't eat as much today as she did yesterday, I'm not like that.

Now should I include the V'ers?


I suppose her fav is the soy formula that she sucks down constantly, lol. We've started baby food, but honestly, she's not really into it. But she's my stinky soy girl. She would never breastfeed so I had to start pumping...and did that for 4 months before I went insane with it. I hated it. H.A.T.E.D. Now I know a lot of people get all up in arms because I didn't breastfeed my child, or because I started her on formula by choice, etc. And you know what? It's sad that I had to feel bad about stopping, because they look down upon you if you *gasp* formula feed your child. Blow me. We went to formula and we were all happier. Well, I guess to be honest, once we switched to soy formula we were all happier. ;) She didn't tolerate the regular stuff well, and had issues, but once we switched, it made a world of difference.

Oh, and babies do not like meat. Particularly when they are 4 months old and the meat of choice is pieces of turkey. This is what happens when a Nana gets a hold of such a creature and the face that followed....




MckLinky Blog Hop

7 comments:

andrea said...

We have the "you must try it" rule around here too. (or at least we will when she has a choice!) I don't see the big deal if they don't want to finish their food and all that jazz either.
if they are eating, and they get something from every food group once a day, who cares!!

and, I am with you on the formula. I had a hard time dealing with the shit I got about formula feeding without even trying breast feeding. it sucked, but we were all happier because we did it our way!

Dana Herro said...

they are SO CUTE!!!!!

Unknown said...

First, that last pic is priceless!

I am really really pro breastfeeding which is obvious if you read my blog but I DO NOT think women should feel bad for not breastfeeding. We are lucky to live in an age where options exist. If you pumped for 4 months you were doing all that work with none of the payoff (the cuddly suckling thing)! Plus he got 4 months of all that good stuff. It is all about doing what works for your family.

From my perspective, us "breastfeeding nazis" are upset with the system that doesn't support women who want to breastfeed and the misinformation that is out there. I want every mom to have the best chance to bf if she wants to. I don't judge anyone who chooses formula. :)

Same with other things. As a "crunchy" mom I do lots of things that are different than other moms but it is all about doing what works for you!

Spicy ketchup? lol

MommyV said...

Adorable pictures of V and Livi!!!

I've never thought of ketchup as spicy, but I guess I can see it :-)

The Red Headed Mama said...

Love the pics!

We've been doing the "must try" rule in our house for awhile. I'm not big on "you must eat this" unless it's something he likes and is just being a punk (like spaghetti)

Also, Aiden used to think everything was spicy but he's grown out of it...so there is hope :)

Brooke said...

Livi sounds a LOT like Connor. BTW - I have the same blog layout :)

Such little cuties!

Sara said...

I LOVE that last picture!