Wednesday, September 9, 2009

People are too anal anymore

I think people and their parenting have just become way to freakin anal anymore. Mike and I are extremely relaxed with the girls, always have been since Livi was born. I didn't spend my time refusing to give Livi a blanket when it was cold, or how the bumpers on her crib were going to somehow jump out at night and suffocate her. I didn't care if she watched tv, I didn't sanitize bottles and binkies every.single.time they left her mouth. I fed her mashed potatoes at a few weeks old and gave up formula well before that magical time of a year. She was allowed to play in sand, and in dirt, and fall down. She's never had the flu shot (never will), ate peanut butter early on, had formula for several months, and slept on her belly. (**GASP**)
One would probably be surprised on how she has made it so long into life.....

People take things to the upmost extremes anymore....can't do this until a year....can't do that until 18 months....can't do this until they are 2. Is there a magical thing that happens when they hit that particular milestone?? On the eve of that day does a sudden change come over them?? Seriously....am I completely missing something?? I get crazed when hearing the question "When can I give my child a blanket? Crib bumpers? Cow's milk?" People have been raising kids for centuries...I know my parents didn't even have car seats for us, and yet the world is populated with billions of people that have survived being able to drink milk before 1 year.

Livi is almost 5 and you know what? She's incredible. She's extremely polite, she behaves in public, and she's healthy.
::end vent::

3 comments:

andrea said...

i am with you on this one! some things i am wierd about, but as a general rule - we are pretty laid back people!

glad to see not everyone is fixated on timelines and rules!

Shell said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)

Andi said...

Hey, you know I agree with you too!